Saturday, April 20, 2013

From a Troubled History to an Uncertain Future

I spent the week reading and skimming Making Waves, an anthology of mostly non-fiction writing by and about Asian American women, edited by the Asian Women United of California (hence its inclusion in the "A" books).  It was published in 1989, and for that reason it's a bit dated, but there were many interesting articles, some poems and a few stories to keep me reading or at least perusing the book over the course of the week.

I got out of it as much as I wanted, I think, though I didn't read most of the more scholarly articles as they were a bit too dry for bus reading.  If I were trying to gain information to write a paper for a course, this book would be just the thing.  I believe that was my original intention when I bought it years ago, but I'm no longer moved to write about the subject.  I may keep it, though, in case I need to learn something in the future about Asian American women, as it is quite thorough in its coverage of their somewhat troubled history and (then) current situtation in the U.S.

So, having finished Making Waves, I'm turning once again to fiction, this time a novel by Maragaret Atwood (the famous speculative fiction writer who is one of my favorites) entitled The Year of the Flood.  This book continues the saga begun in Oryx and Crake, which I read back in 2004.  The story takes place in a future world that has been all but destroyed by humankind's neglect of the environment.  It should be interesting, and moreover, will complete my sojourn through the "A" books in my collection.

Stay tuned . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment