Saturday, April 27, 2013

Another Devastating Flood Wrecks the Earth

I'm about 2/3 the way through The Year of the Flood, and I'm enjoying it, pretty much.  I get annoyed at times by all the new words I'm forced to learn, mostly the names of gene spliced animals like rackunk (combination of raccoon and skunk). I guess that's a problem with all science fiction--a long list of new terms.  But the basic story seems pretty traditional--man's inhumanity to man and their bad decisions with respect to nature.

Told mostly in flashback, the main characters describe how they got to the point where they are in the present time of the story, that is, the year of the flood.  The flood is called "waterless" because it is a flood of microbes, I think.  But they haven't really detailed that yet.  I guess I'll find out eventually what has happened to the earth to make most of the people disappear.

Atwood is a great writer and she manages to get me involved in the lives of all these not-too-distant future women and men.  I can barely remember the novel to which this is a sequel, Oryx and Crake, so I may have to go back to it eventually so I can connect it with this book.

I'll report my findings in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment