Friday, March 1, 2013

Skipping from Alexie to Angelou

Well, I didn't end up reading Dr. Amatuzio's book because it was about people who believe they communicate with the dead. That's not my cup of tea, but I would've been willing to give it the benefit of the doubt if it had been well written.  It was not, however, so I put it into the donation pile and moved on.

The next book on the list was Maya Angelou's famous autobiography, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.  It's the story of her life from early childhood through adolescence.  She was born in 1928, thus the story tells of what life was life for an African American during the 1930s and 40s.  I've been meaning to read it for many years, so I was really happy to finally be starting it.

It's a very well written book--exciting, interesting, and thought provoking.  Maya talks about hardships as well as joys.  There are a great many passages, of course, that deal with the sorrow of race relations during the first half of the twentieth century, but also many colorful, poignant and disturbing stories about the people she knew and lived with in the segregated society of Stamp, Arkansas as well as the integrated society of California.  I'm learning a lot about her friends and relations, and learning to love or despise or feel sorry for them as she does.  Her grandmother, whom she calls "Momma" throughout the book, is an especially wonderful person: courageous, wise, kind and strong; Ms. Angelou makes me wish I had known her.  She must miss her terribly.

The title of the book comes from a Paul Dunbar poem: "Sympathy."  It's a fitting title, I think. See if you agree.  Here's the poem: Sympathy.

I'm about 3/4 through with the book, but I already know it's great, and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment