Sunday, April 1, 2012

History of Hope and Struggle

Well, I finally finished In Hope of Liberty, and I must say it's one of the best books of African American history I've read. It was filled with all kinds of information about what life was life for the many people of African descent who lived in the northern states from the beginning of European colonization up to the Civil War.  I learned so much I can't even describe most of it, but the major thing I learned was that the experience of enslaved people, both freed and not freed, was very complex and diverse across the northern colonies, territories, and states.

In addition to that, I was distressed by how difficult it was for blacks even in the north, how they struggled to gain full liberties and rights as citizens of the United States, and how they were resisted by many, many people and institutions over the centuries. I also learned that many white people helped them and were in fact quite vocal about their views on the disgrace that was slavery. There were also many brave African Americans who risked their livelihoods, their homes and even their lives to try to be fully free.

I highly recommend this book to all people who think they know something about African American history, or even American history.  The story of slavery in this country is long and complex, and cannot be told by simply stating that the north was where slaves went to be free.

The next book I read on this topic, I think, will be the one I have about the underground railroad.  I think I'm ready to truly understand that phenomenon after reading In Hope of Liberty.

Next week I start a novel by Cristina Garcia, The Lady Matador's Hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment