Sunday, April 8, 2012

Central American Solutions

The book I read this week, The Lady Matador's Hotel, by Cristina Garcia, was a very well written novel. It's about a collection of people who are all staying at a hotel in a Central American city.  They are a diverse group comprised of the lady matador, a former guerilla, a man who committed atrocities during the most recent civil war, a Korean businessman with a teenaged girlfriend who's pregnant, a lawyer who brokers baby adoptions, and a Cuban poet and his wife hoping to adopt an infant.  Each of the characters has a particular problem that he or she must solve before the end of the book.  Each does, and in a way that I found unexpected but also strangely satisfying.

This is the first book I've read by Ms. Garcia, though she's written several.  I will definitely try to read more of her work in the future.

I highly recommend The Lady Matador's Hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment