Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year!

One thing I like about the holiday of New Year is that it's never too late to say "Happy New Year!" After all, what remains of the year is always before you, even when it's half over, so as long as it's still to come, there's still a chance it could be happy, and your wish could still come true.

So I'm taking the opportunity to say Happy New Year to all of you! I've been away visiting relatives and have neglected my blog, but I haven't neglected my reading.  While I was gone I not only finished House, but started and read another book on my list, The Story Sisters, a novel by Alice Hoffman.  Both were very entertaining, and I'm looking forward to telling you what I thought of them here.

Some of you may have seen the movie, Practical Magic, which was based on the book by the same name.  Alice Hoffman wrote that book and a number of others that have similar themes.  One of them is her latest, The Story Sisters, published last June. (An even newer novel will come out this month.) 

Hoffman's web site has this to say about her work: "In her spellbinding novels, Alice Hoffman weaves magic and fairy tales into plots thick with today’s gritty realism" (Hoffman).  I like that description, but there's more to it than that, and you can rest assured I will elaborate--and soon!

2 comments: