Wednesday, November 23, 2016

After Yorktown


Thomas Fleming
Well, I got off on some tangents with library books the past several weeks, but now I'm back reading my own books. I finished the "D" category and decided to start on "F" authors, with a history of the American Revolution by Thomas Fleming, The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival after Yorktown. It's quite interesting. I didn't know anything about the immediate aftermath of the victory over Cornwallis in 1781.

Times in our fledgling republic were tough, apparently, with a lot going on. So far Fleming draws a very chaotic picture of people's response to the surrender of Cornwallis, some thinking the war was over, others trying to get the Army back together to continue the fight since the war was decidedly not over. George III was not conceding defeat and the new American government was out of money. It looks like this will be a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment