Monday, July 6, 2015

La Coja Triumphs

Ana Castillo
I finally finished a novel by Ana Castillo, Peel My Love Like An Onion. I had started it years ago but couldn't get into it then, but now I'm glad I went back to it. It was very good! Castillo is a wonderful writer! Her main character, a flamenco dancer suffering the effects of childhood polio, has a collection of adventures with dancers and lovers. What an interesting person Carmen is! It would be hard to give a synopsis of this story. Suffice it to say that Carmen is complex and sympathetic, and you come to care about her deeply by the end of the book. Brava!  Check out her website at http://www.anacastillo.com/content/.

My current book is non-fiction, the history of the horrific molasses flood that happened in Boston in 1919. It is called Dark Tide, by Stephen Puleo. So far it's proven to be fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment