Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Mysteries Native and Imported

I've been slowly working my way through the Best American Mystery Stories 2010 lately, and I must say it's pretty good. The stories are more on the side of literary than pulp, which is fine, though the mysteries are not true mysteries for the most part, at least not in the classical sense of whodunits. They are about crime, but get into the mysteries of the criminal mind or behavior rather than unraveling what happened.

I've also started a more conventional narrative from Stephen King's son, Joe Hill, who has followed in his father's footsteps writing supernatural/horror fiction. Nosferatu (NOS4A2) is a library book, so I'm cheating a little reading a book that isn't diminishing my book collection. Oh, well. It's a pretty good story, if a little bit wordy (Hill's like his father in that way, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment