Friday, December 27, 2013

From Work to Ancient Warfare

Well, I didn't quite finish Working, but I needed to move on so I could get to more of my books. I've chosen one of my "M" books this time: Greek Fire, Poison Arrows & Scorpion Bombs: Biological and Chemical Warfare in the Ancient World, by Adrienne Mayor, a research scholar in the Classics Department at Stanford University. Here is her website: Adrienne Mayor. And here is her picture, which I copied from that website:

Adrienne Mayor
The book was published in 2003, but has been since updated with a new introduction by the author. It is quite fascinating so far. I had a notion that chemical and biological weapons were deployed in ancient times, but really didn't know the vast extent. This area of history is Ms. Mayor's life's work, apparently, and you can feel her enthusiasm on every page.

People are capable of quite diabolical means of terrorizing and destroying one another, a reality we continue to face. Not much has changed over the millennia, except that our methods have become ever more lethal. I'll have more to say about particulars as I read further. Later . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment