Saturday, July 27, 2013

Stories of Ordinary People Continued

Well, I finally finished Studs Terkel and found it to be a very interesting collection of interviews from a great variety of people, mostly from the Chicago area.

Meanwhile, I also read the latest Michael Connelly mystery, The Black Box, featuring his continuing detective character, Harry Bosch. It was quite good--had a nice twist at the end.

Now I'm reading another "T" book, the history of Troy, Maine, titled Troy, Past and Present: 1793, 1827-1977.  The book was written back in the 70s by two of the townspeople, Leola and Edith Mitchell, both school teachers. I have the fifth edition, printed in October 2001.  It's not great writing, but it's not bad writing, either, considering it was published by the town and has not been edited by a commercial publisher.  And because it concerns my ancestors and their neighbors, it's interesting to me.  There are numerous pictures, maps, and even some recipes from the old days. I'm enjoying it so far.

Next I may go to fiction, perhaps Jean Toomer or Ann Tyler.  I'll keep you informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment