Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Yank's Adventure

Well, I finally finished A Connecticut Yankee and I must say it was an enjoyable book, though a bit chaotic at times. There was a lot of satire in it besides a pretty decent story; Twain makes fun of some very serious issues, chief among them slavery. Though it was over by the time the story was published in 1889, Twain was no doubt still seeing slavery's deplorable after-effects and lamenting man's inhumanity to man.  Though I must say, his character Hank Morgan was certainly far from perfect and subject to many of man's worst flaws.

I recommend the book, especially if you haven't read it since high school, but you'll have to tolerate a little bit of old fashioned writing.  One of these days I want to see the movie with Bing Crosby again, as I remember very little of it.

I'm on to another "T" book next, though I don't know which one yet.  Maybe a non-fiction this time . . .  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment