Monday, December 24, 2012

She Read, Alphabetically

I haven't posted lately because I haven't been inspired to write about what I've been reading lately. I've been in the doldrums, it seems, at making a dent in my book collection, so I decided on a new tack--going alphabetically by author's name.  Being random, the choice ends up out of my hands, which is fine, since I can't seem to otherwise decide what book to read next.

The book first on the list is Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire, a classic of environmental/travel writing. I've started it and I think I'm going to enjoy it. The writer's voice is soothing, poetic, unique.  It's an oldish book, first published in 1968. It's a chronicle of the author's three seasons as a park ranger with the National Park Service at Arches National Monument, work that was largely solitary. I'll let you know what I think as I go along.

I continue to read Understanding Biological Psychology, albeit slowly, and I'm also reading Nancy Drew mysteries over the phone with my mother at a fast clip.  They're actually pretty well written (though not as well written as the Little House books).  I'm enjoying them now that I've become used to the many "wrylies" the author uses. Maybe that was the style back in the thirties?

I'm beginning to notice, though, that the books have been somewhat updated from the original version, probably to make them more understandable to a modern audience of girls who are apparently still reading them.

I hope to post again soon with updates of Edward Abbey and whatever comes next.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment