Sunday, May 13, 2012

From a Pirate King to an Old, Bold Detective

I finished the Laurie King novel, Pirate King, then went on to the latest Michael Connelly mystery novel, The Drop, featuring Harry Bosch, aging police detective.  Pirate King finally got fast paced at the end, when the principals got kidnapped, managed to escape and unravelled the mystery at last.  It was quite satisfying and I was sad to see it end. As I've probably said before, I recommend this Sherlock Holmes' wife series highly.  Start with The Beekeeper's Apprentice if you want to get into it.

Michael Connelly is a very good writer; his plots are complex and his characters flawed and therefore quite believable. This one had me guessing until the very end--always a good thing in a mystery novel.  It was about two cases: one a cold case that caught a break when a DNA search came up with a hit. The other was about a councilman's son who took a dive off a building but it wasn't clear that it was a suicide.  There were complications in both cases: the cold case's suspect had been only 8 years old at the time of the rape and murder of a young woman.  The hot case was complicated by the councilman's son being the son of Harry's old nemesis in the department--former police chief Irving, who claimed he wanted the truth to come out, and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm not sure what I'll get into next, but I'll let you know next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment