Saturday, May 7, 2011

From Murder Mysteries to Nature's Mysteries

I finished Body Work this week and while it did have a slow start, it picked up after a while and I got involved in the plot and some of the characters, once they were finally introduced.  It remained a plot that had trouble hanging together, though.  Loose ends were finally tied up, but by then my interest in those plot segments had waned.  I would recommend this book only to dedicated mystery readers.

So now I have to choose a new book, and I'm thinking about River Horse, by William Least Heat-Moon.  All the current talk of rivers and flooding has got me interested in reading about them.  River Horse: The Logbook of a Boat Across America chronicles a journey the author took from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific, all by river.  I bought the book quite a while ago, and have been wanting to find the time to read it.  But now it seems I have run out of excuses. The book's not short, though: 528 pages. Perhaps that's what discouraged me from reading it before; like Jackie Robinson, the daunting heft of River Horse kept it on the shelf all these years.

But no more.  River Horse will fall like the others, and I will be better for it.  And so, I hope, will you!

No comments:

Post a Comment