Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spring Break

This past week, I must confess, I took a break from the intensity of Jackie Robinson's life story and read a murder mystery, the latest from Michael Connelly: The Fifth Witness.

I enjoy Michael Connelly's novels, and this one was particularly good. It features one of his continuing characters, Micky Haller, a defense attorney.  There's usually a current events angle in his plots; this one featured the recent mortgage foreclosure mess--the banker who is foreclosing on a home loan is murdered and the woman who is losing her house is the accused. 

Connelly gives readers an unlikable defendant and an attorney who wants to believe she is innocent.  There are many twists, some involving unscrupulous business men with ties to the Mafia, as well as a couple of romantic subplots.  I won't spoil it by telling you how it ends, but believe me, it was a quick, enjoyable read.

This coming week I intend to finish up with Jackie Robinson then move on to the next book.

By the way, I'm afraid the closing out sale at a local Borders Books store snagged me last weekend--at $2.50 a book, how could I resist?  I now have about fifteen additional books in my library!  But there's no problem.  Having plenty to read? It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment