Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Bountiful History

Well, I'm back to the world of non-fiction once again! After a few days of reading American Heritage magazine, I decided to launch into a book I bought years ago and had started reading before putting it aside. It's a history entitled The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty by Caroline Alexander, published in 2003.

It got good reviews when it came out, and I agree that it's well written and interesting. So far it seems to be an account that will be more sympathetic toward Captain Bligh. But whether this is an objective account or biased toward Captain Bligh, I'll find out soon enough.

The story starts at the end, with a description of the aftermath of the mutiny, when the survivors get back to England and the king sends a ship out to search for the culprits and bring them to justice.  Where it will go from there, I'm eager to learn.

As ever, I'll let you know what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment